Next Level Doodling!

Happy fall everyone,

When the 3/4s came to Art last week I gave the each a small piece of paper and I instructed them to doodle for 30 seconds without talking. When the time was up some students shared their doodles and we considered questions such as:

• What makes a doodle a doodle?
  • When doodling, are you thinking about what you are doing or is it a subconscious act?
  • Can doodling be conscious?

After our discussion I introduced them to a contemporary artist known as “Mr. Doodle.” Originally from the UK, Mr.Doodle has become a world-wide sensation and travels around the globe to doodle on everything and anything and often has a full audience watching in awe. You can check him out here. 

We talked about the use of positive and negative space in his artworks and students were challenged to find their own way to incorporate both in their piece. They came up with an idea, sketched their design and used sharpies to make it stand out.

This week we took our doodles to the next level adding watercolor paint. Watercolor is not an easy medium to control and students did a wonderful job practicing various techniques like blending and splattering while also keeping the colors vibrant.

I hope everyone has a nice weekend!

Until next time,

Ida

Posted in